Community

The Memoirs of a Trailblazer -The First Woman Chemical Engineer of IIT

The Memoirs of a Trailblazer -The First Woman Chemical Engineer of IIT

Madhu Panchmia Sengupta, ’68 ChE, SN Hall (1946 - 2022) Madhu’s passing is the end of an era. She, with her direct and practical nature, would never describe it that way. But she was a trailblazer, the first woman chemical engineering student at IIT Kharagpur, and was a part of the 13th batch of entering students in an institution which is now getting ready to celebrate its 75th anniversary. It was an era of aspiration, of national heroes, an era that inspired young students. Madhu grew up in Kolkata as the youngest of three sisters in a family of six…
Read More
IIT Bay Area Leadership Conference 2022

IIT Bay Area Leadership Conference 2022

Bay Area Alumni Community of Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur conducted the IIT Bay Area Leadership Conference 2022 in Santa Clara Convention Centre, California USA  on 27 August 2022. It is a nonprofit organization in California which is dedicated to the professional advancement of alumni from all IIT campuses who call the greater San Francisco Bay Area home. Every year towards the end of the summer, IITBAA organizes the IIT Bay Area Leadership Conference which is open to all IIT and non-IIT tech professionals. The annual conference typically brings together industry & academic luminaries, business leaders, engineers, startup founders, investors…
Read More
Sanskrit….The Language of Indian Sanskriti `वसुधैव-कुटुम्बकम्`

Sanskrit….The Language of Indian Sanskriti `वसुधैव-कुटुम्बकम्`

Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge Systems (CoE-IKS) of IIT Kharagpur celebrated the 'Sanskrit Week'   सुखार्थिनः कुतो विद्या नास्ति विद्यार्थिनः सुखम्। सुखार्थी वा त्यजेद्विद्यां विद्यार्थी वा त्यजेत्सुखम्॥   There is no knowledge for the seekers of comfort, and no comfort for the seekers of knowledge. A seeker of comfort should give up knowledge, and a seeker of knowledge should give up comfort.​   Swami Vivekananda said, "Because the very sound of  Sanskrit words gives a prestige and a power and a strength to the race." Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge Systems (CoE-IKS) of IIT Kharagpur celebrated Sanskrit Week…
Read More
The Fallen Star…

The Fallen Star…

What's with a fallen star? Blazing past where loved ones are Close to earth, searching far... Closing eyes in heavenly prayer For flames burn out in the shallow air God lights the way where angels glow With streaking stars of love that flow Loved ones who completed your life Reminiscence your memories to survive God sends this message from a far Down to earth, close to where you are Worthy Warrior, fighting the battle for life Praise the fortitude with every extra mile Night stars will shine high Bright streak will stream through the night sky Good awaits you, for…
Read More
Scientific & Uniform Speed Management to Reduce Fatal Road Accidents

Scientific & Uniform Speed Management to Reduce Fatal Road Accidents

Highlights : The institute made recommendations based on road geometry & traffic characteristics The fatalities in road accidents have increased by 1.3% Initiate Audit of existing speed management measures, study of accidents and speed monitoring India has always been on the edge when it comes to road safety and speed management. Even with new policy reforms and measures to curb road accident, a total of 3,66,138 road accidents caused the loss of 1,31,714 lives in 2020 as per the statistics of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH). 1.2 lakh deaths were reported by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)…
Read More
Adieu to the Telecom Man of India    

Adieu to the Telecom Man of India    

When I come to the end of my journey And I travel my last weary mile Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned And remember only the smile Forget unkind words I have spoken Remember some good I have done Forget that I ever had a heartache And remember I have had loads of fun Forget that I have stumbled and blundered And sometimes fell by the way Remember I have fought Some hard battles and won Ere the close of the day Then forget to grieve for my going I would not have you sad for a…
Read More
Dr B C Roy- A pioneer of Medical Science, who remodeled the perception on Doctors

Dr B C Roy- A pioneer of Medical Science, who remodeled the perception on Doctors

God is busy, cannot be present everywhere, that’s why they have created doctors. Rightly said by Carl Jung- “Medicines cure diseases, but only doctors cure patients. In recognition of service rendered by the medical doctors, July 1 is celebrated as National Doctors’ Day all across India, to honour the legendary Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy on his birth and death anniversary. This day is very important to pay tribute to the doctors, who are selflessly and tirelessly protecting us. To acknowledge and salute them for their contributions towards serving the nation, IIT Kharagpur has celebrated National Doctors’ Day at the Bidhan…
Read More
IIT Kharagpur, the Destination Home for International Students in India

IIT Kharagpur, the Destination Home for International Students in India

Indian culture has been a magnet for many fresh off the boats for centuries. The country’s music, art, knowledge systems, festivals have always awed the world, drawing explorers from Europe, the Middle East and the Orient. The legacy echoed in the anecdotes of Pavel Karmanov and Juan David Matallana Guerrero on the day of their convocation on February 23, 2021. Pavel from the Winterland  While growing up in the city of Chita, located near the Trans-Siberian Railway in Russia, the five-year-old Pavel used to listen to an unfamiliar but exotic tune on the radio. Soon he learned the name of…
Read More
Evolving Smart Education System

Evolving Smart Education System

Evolving Smart Education System - the 2020 Transformation at IIT Kharagpur                                The year 2020 has brought a paradigm shift in our lifestyle and livelihoods. The higher education sector is probably among those to have witnessed the most climacteric effect in India with nearly 38 million students pursuing their education in online mode with e-Learning being explored like never before. While in the initial academic semesters, institutions relied mostly on video conferencing software such as Webex for classroom teaching and Moodle for assignments, a host of platforms were adopted as the year progressed, along with evolving new pedagogy for a better…
Read More
From the Director’s Desk: Best Practices to Avoid Exam Malpractices

From the Director’s Desk: Best Practices to Avoid Exam Malpractices

IIT Kharagpur’s point of view regarding best practices to avoid malpractices in online examination Experience says that generally the rules are required to be framed for a purpose for possibly 5% of people who are not so disciplined and cause disturbance to the whole system. For this 5% of people, 95% of people do suffer as they need to go through a constricted process. Setting stringent measures for curbing malpractices in an examination is no exception. Possibly a handful of students resort to some kind of unethical practices for which a host of norms are required to be framed for…
Read More