Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur gets a new website. From the previous version of Beta IIT KGP, this newly launched website is much more interactive and visually more attractive, aligned with respective up-to-date data representation. Prof. V K Tewari, Director along with Prof. Amit Patra, Deputy Director; Shri Tamal Nath, Outgoing Registrar; Prof. Prabir Kumar Biswas, Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering and Prof. Pralay Mitra, Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur inaugurated the new website. Prof. Joy Sen, Chairman, Indian Knowledge System, IIT Kharagpur was the convener of the inauguration ceremony.
“There was a need for a new website that will provide the information in a more integrated manner following international standards of information dissemination. I congratulate the entire team of Computer Informatics Centre for their sincere efforts,” said Prof. Tewari.
Prof. Patra requested all the stakeholders of the institute to come forward and to share information and requisite data that will serve the purpose of a compact and inclusive official platform. Prof. Mitra highlighted the new aspects of the websites that differentiates it from the old website and how in terms of a platform, the new website serves the purpose of being adaptable to different mediums of communication. He also mentioned that the website will have a bilingual approach and will also be translated in Hindi giving prominence to our official language.
1. The new website is mobile-friendly.
2. It is categorized based on users like students, faculty and staff, administration, outreach and alumni affairs, visitors, and jobs; and based on activities like academics, admissions, research, and industry.
3. The emphasis is given more on students – one dedicated page filled with all academic information. One FAQ link to assist in finding the query is provided.
4. The admission page is classified into UG/PG/Ph.D. and Postdoc sections that contain necessary details not only for current students but for prospective students too.
5. Both the student and admission page is presented using pictogram, thus making it spectacular.
6. Emphasis is given to reaching content with minimum mouse clicks. The sitemap of the website has been redesigned for this purpose.
7. A dedicated administration page having contact details and designation of all the staff members have also been provided.
8. A separate outreach and alumni page contains a link to the Alumni website, Continuing Education, and International Relations, along with the link to student body-maintained websites like International Relations Cell, Students Alumni Cell, and Branding and Relations Cell.
9. Institute Honours Page with the photographs of the dignitaries with their information has also been uploaded.
10. The new website is secured by HTTPS.
11. The main page in the new website can sync-in (upload) audio-visual videos making it more attractive and interactive.
12. On the landing page of the website, a synergy between the website and the real-time social media posts in Facebook and Twitter has been created for an overall inclusive impact of the latest happenings in the institute.
13. Also, a real-time update on the statistics of the students, faculty, staff, projects, and visitor count is updated dynamically.
14. The footer section has been reduced in size following the feedback from the stakeholders.
15. Faculty and staff search has been inclusively integrated. Previously it was only “Faculty Search”.
16. The new version of the website is fetching data from the in-house ERP which is unique.
Click on the link below to visit the new website and give your suggestions for further upgradation.
Inputs By : Prof. Pralay Mitra, Computer Science & Engineering, IIT Kharagpur
Edited By : Poulami Mondal, Digital & Creative Media Executive (Creative Writer)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Ph. No.: +91-3222-282007
Follow us on: Facebook – IIT Kharagpur; Twitter – @IITKgp; Instagram – @iit.kgp; LinkedIn – Indian Institute of Technology
For news visit: https://kgpchronicle.iitkgp.ac.in/