In the present scenario of global competition, the Quality and Reliability of products and processes play a vital role in the design, maintenance, operational safety/security and management of engineering systems.
Subir Chowdhury School of Quality and Reliability, the first of its kind in India and a unique School of excellence focuses on overall improvement in engineering skills of students by exposing them to theory and practices in Quality and Reliability Engineering.
The School is organizing a Web Workshop exclusively for the faculty members of IIT Kharagpur on Robust Engineering and Optimization, on February 24, 2021, 6.30 pm-10.30 pm IST.
This workshop focuses on the strategic approach for product development developed by Dr. Genichi Taguchi. There are three main topics
1. Robust Optimization
- What is “Robustness” and why focus on “Robustness”.
- How to assess and optimize “Robustness”
- How optimization for “Robustness” can lead to cost reduction.
- How optimization for “Robustness” can lead to a drastic reduction in time-to-market.
- Case studies on Robust Optimization;
- Auto parallel parking control system
- Steer by wire
- Body in white frontal crash safety
- Magnetic sensing system for angular measurement
2. Mahalanobis Taguchi System (MTS) for Optimization of Pattern Recognition/ Diagnostic System
- The basic concept of MTS and how MTS can minimize misdiagnosis such as false positive and false negative
- Application of MTS such as Erath Quake Prediction, Monitoring System for Complex Manufacturing, Diagnosis on Rocket Launching Event, etc.
3. System Behavior Testing (SBT) for System Design Validation
- How SBT works to develop validation test scenarios such that hard-to-detect failure modes can be detected
- How to analyze SBT test result
Mr. Shin Taguchi, CTO, ASI Consulting Group – Shin is President of the American Supplier Institute (ASI), dedicated to improving the competitive position of industries. He is also CTO of ASI Consulting Group in Bigham Farm, M6. Over the last 38 years, has trained more than 84,000 engineers around the world in Robust Engineering known as Taguchi MethodsTM, Pattern Recognition System using Mahalanobis Distance, Quality Function Deployment and DFSS Design for Six Sigma. He works with engineering, product development & manufacturing executives that have saved the American industry hundreds of millions of dollars. Some of the many clients he has helped to make products and processes Robust include Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Hyundai-Kia Motor Company, Delphi Automotive Systems, Chrysler (FCA), ITT, Kodak, Lexmark, Goodyear Tire & Rubber, General Electric, Miller Brewing, The Budd Company, Westinghouse, NASA, Texas Instruments, Xerox, Bosch, TRW, Caterpillar, Navistar and many others. In 1996, Shin developed and started to teach a Taguchi Certification Course. Over 540 people have graduated to date from this ongoing 16-day master certification course.
2000 to present: Shin has done training and coaching on DFSS include Delphi, Bosch Automotive Steering, Flex Automotive, Freudenburg, Ricoh, Mitsubishi Electric and Honda Motor Company.
- a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society in London,
- a member of the American Society for Quality (ASQ),
- a technical advisor to the Japanese Standards Association (JSA) and Robust Quality Engineering Society of Japan (RQES).
- co-authored “Robust Engineering” published by McGraw Hill in 1999, “Computer-Based Robust Engineering” by ASQ Press and “Robust Optimization” by Wiley in 2016
Mr. Alan Wu, Vice President and Senior Consultant for ASI Consulting Group: Alan is Vice President and Senior Consultant for ASI Consulting Group, LLC. He is a Master Black Belt in Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) and was one of the world authorities in developing the DFSS program at ASI. Alan was the technical engineer on the ANOVA-TM and CAPD-TM Taguchi application software programs and has been training and consulting with manufacturing companies throughout North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia for over 30 years. Alan has taught more than 7,000 people and has coached more than 5,000 projects.
Alan has been instrumental in assisting ASI customers to apply and DFSS methodologies such as Taguchi Methods, QFD, and TRIZ in Product Development and Manufacturing. has trained and consulted with such companies as: Allied Signal, Anheuser Busch, Bobcat Company, Bosch, Case Corporation, CHR Hansen, Delphi Corporation, E.I. Dupont, ESCO Corporation, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, FMC Corporation, Ford Motor Company, General Dynamics, General Electric Company, General Motors Corporation, GTE Laboratories, Hewlett-Packard, Hughes Aircraft, ITT, Kaiser Electronics, Kemet Electronics, Lockheed-Martin, LSI Logic, Luminar Technologies, Miller Brewing Company, Motorola, NASA, Naval Weapons Support Center, Newport News Shipbuilding, Northern Telecom, Philips, Rocketdyne, Storage Technology, Texas Instruments, Westinghouse, Weyerhaeuser, ZF, and many others.
The seats are limited to 20-25 only. Please register by February 17, 5:00 PM.
For registration contact the Head, Subir Chowdhury School of Quality and Reliability (SCSQR).
To know more about the School visit: http://www.iitkgp.ac.in/department/RE
Know more about Shri Subir Chowdhury, patron of the School and pioneer in championing the Quality movement across the globe through his thought-provoking ideas, unique methods, pedagogy and passion: https://www.subirchowdhury.com/about